Tuesday, October 26, 2010

This is Not What I Was Envisioning

I know one thing for sure.  Most things NEVER go exactly as you plan them.  Because people are not machines they tend to do things like change their minds, or throw up, or pee-their pants.  Well, I guess those are the people that I hang out with all day, but a similar logic can apply to most of the general population.

Today was full of things going the opposite of how they were envisioned.

Number 1
It was Crazy Sock Day at school, and no one loves a theme party/ spirit days more than yours truly, so OF COURSE I went to Target and bought these little beauties:

(My previous collection of crazy socks was purged during the cohabitation efforts.  
Apparently Lee wants room for his socks too.  Jerk).

I wore these socks to work.  It just so happens that Crazy Sock Day overlapped with The-Superintendent-of-Your-School-District-Comes-to-Watch-You-Teach-Day.  Normally, this would not be a big deal, as I feel like most people (superintendents included) think Kindergarten teachers are insane anyway, and so they somewhat expect oddities like frizzy hair, praying to nature spirits, or crazy socks.  (Only the sock thing applies to me, and sometimes the hair, depending on the humidity, whoops, side track...)

So there I was, teaching up a storm, and with precision timing my principal and the superintendent walked into the room right as one of my students wet her pants (on the rug) and started to cry, prompting all the other kids to do some variation of screaming, yelling "EWW!" or running for their lives.

That's not how I envisioned my first meeting with the superintendent.


Number 2
This weekend we FINALLY got a rug for our living room (thanks to Christi Black for the early Christmas present!) and we FINALLY arranged the furniture in a way that makes our living room feel like a real living room.  FINALLY. :)  It involved a lot of pushing, swearing, heavy lifting, and general discontent...by Lee.  My job was to say whether or not I liked things where they were.  Lee is nice.

 Hooray for THIS angle of the living room.

We had everything placed juuuust so, only to discover that the unfortunate placement of the 1940s floor heater.  I have learned that floor heaters designed in the 1940s are the most dangerous thing anyone could ever encounter, as they reach temperatures of about one million degrees.  Something that hot cannot have furniture near or straddling it, even if it is not directly touching it, or else it will incinerate. This has lead to the current placement of our TV.

My solution is to leave it over the heater. 
Maybe we'll just never want heat?

This is not how I envisioned the feng shui of my living room.

Number 3
When I got home tonight Lee said, "I feel like cooking!  What if I make steak for dinner and then bake cookies for dessert?"  To which I replied, "Aw, man!  Can't we just have left-over Chinese food?"

That is not how he envisioned my response to him cooking dinner. 
(Also, don't look a gift horse in the mouth much, Robin?)


 At least I have this cool bike.

And it's exactly as I envisioned.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...