Monday, October 25, 2010

Red Ribbon Week/ How to Talk to Five Year Olds About Drugs

It is Red Ribbon Week at my school. Red Ribbon Week is an anti-drug campaign that aims at promoting a drug-free life style to school children.  Everyone in the school participates by decorating their classroom door with something red, and taking part in spirit day throughout the week.

Today I had the task of explaining to a group of 5 year olds (half of them, in their second language) all about Red Ribbon Week.  First I was asked, "Why do we have to wear red?"  I tried to explain that the color red is reminding everyone that we are never going to use drugs.  That seemed to go okay, so we moved onto what drugs actually are and why shouldn't use them.  I did my best to give a stellar explanation, which included a pantomime smoking routine, and then I asked some follow up questions to check for understanding.  The answers are as follows:

"Why shouldn't we do drugs?"
"We will die."
"We will throw up then die."
"We won't breathe anymore."
"Because we are wearing red."

"What is a drug?"
"Smoking is a drug!"
"Kids drinking beer is a drug!"
"Cucumbers are drugs!"
This lady may be an addict.

So, the conversation went exactly as I expected.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In reference to her mother's cholesterol pills, a first grader said her mom takes drugs every morning to be healthy. Needless to say that confused a lot of kids. Especially the one who is convinced he went to Africa this weekend

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...