Monday, January 3, 2011

Overheard in Kindergarten

Today was the first day back at school after Winter Break.  This is always the worst Monday of the year, but my students did not disappoint in reminding me why I like working with five year olds.  Observe:

I came across two little boys sitting down on a bench during recess.  One of them looked like he was in pain, and he kept periodically contorting his face while his friend cheered him on.  As I got closer to them I heard:

Jared, "Do you have to fart?  Julio, are you going to fart?  Try to fart.  KEEP TRYING."
Julio: "I'm trying!  Hang on..." (pause for fart efforts) "Wait, lemme try again..." (more farting attempts).
"Aww, never mind, I can't do it, I'll just do THIS!" (Puts his hand under his shirt to create fake fart noises with his armpit).
You see, Julio is what we call a divergent thinker: someone who can come up with multiple solutions to a problem.  Your friend wants fart noises and you have no gas?  NO PROBLEM.  Just use your armpit.

Later, my most hilarious student, Ronnie, came up to me at the end of the day and said,

Ronnie: "Teacher, um, are you going to tell my mommy dat I was a good boy?  Because if you don't tell her dat I was a good boy I won't be your best friend."
Me: "Well, Ronnie, I'm going to tell her that you chose not to finish your work this morning, so you had to do it at recess.  But you did get it finished before recess was over so you got to go out and play."
Ronnie: "So, dat means dat I was a lot bit good, and a yittle bit bad.  I was one time bad.  And you are going to tell her dat I was just one time bad?"
Me: "I'm just going to tell her what happened.  You guys can decide if that is bad or good. Also, I don't like it when you tell me you won't be my best friend if I don't tell your mom that you were good."
Ronnie: "I'm sowwy teacher."
Me: "It's OK."
Ronnie: "OK, Fanks! Hey, teacher?"
Me: "Yes?"
Ronnie: (puts his arms behind his back) "Yook!  I have no arms!"

Vacation was great, but these kids are hilarious.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...