Monday, March 14, 2011

I Was Running: A Birth Story

Ha.  This is not really a birth story.  I just said that because there are about a million birth stories on all the blogs out there.  This is probably because most of the women who blog are Mormon, stay at home mommies.  I shamelessly follow (stalk?) a lot of Mormon bloggesses because I find their DIY crafts ingenious and their economic recipes amazing.  Also, my friend from high school is Mormon and I really like her so I follow her too.  Wait, way of track.  OK, let me try again.

I said birth story because they tend to attract a lot of attention, and while I didn't give birth on Sunday, I did complete the biggest physical accomplishment of my entire life, so it's as close to a birth story as I've got.

I ran a half-marathon.  
Seriously, ran.  
Didn't walk one time.  
For 13.1 miles I didn't walk.

I've never been a big "runner."  Before I started training for the Shamrockn' Half-Marathon I only ever ran if a coach was making me or if I let enough guilt build up, and I usually hated every step.  I did the half-marathon training program with Fleet Feet Sacramento and it completely changed my feelings about running.  I learned how to do it and actually like it.  (The secret, for anyone who is curious, is to go as slowly as possible.  I'm really good at that).

And now, for the photo recap:

 This is my friend and coworker Lindsey.
She is the one who convinced me to do this.
This was, like, her millionth half-marathon.
Or, something like that.

And...We're off.

Lee went to meet the rest of my family in Old Town Sacramento where they were waiting for me to run by at mile marker 9. When Lee asked my brother how long they had been waiting he responded, "We watched them put the cones up." 
Ha ha ha! Louise McFadden strikes again.

Here I come!

See, how fast I am going?  An actual blur!

One of the happiest/in pain moments ever.
(See, like birth!)
(Ok, so not exactly like birth)

 My family = The best family

And my boyfriend = The best boyfriend.
Never in his life has he taken a serious picture.

 The thing about races is this:
You get so much free stuff!

My parents were so cute!  
They brought champagne and a cake!

Christi Black staged this photo.
Christi, do you work in PR?

Highlights of the day included:
  • Being allowed to use the VIP porta-potty.
  • Watching Lee have to get out of bed at 6:00am.
  • Realizing fifteen minutes into the race that I hadn't rinsed out my water bottles well enough and they all tasted like soap.
  • My father running after me after I passed him yelling, "Wait!  I didn't get the picture!"
  • My brother finding me in a sea of people at the finish and giving me the biggest hug ever.
  • Having my parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and Lee's family packed into my tiny house drinking champagne and listening to my Aunt Joan talk about her concern over the amount of pedophiles that come from Ireland. ("Because WE'RE Irish and I just never knew it was this bad back then!")
  • Discovering that the people at Raley Field think it's a good plan to store the coffee creamer next to the onions and the mayonnaise.  Barf.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...